Skip to main content

Professor


Well, I know that I’d said earlier in this blog that I will watch almost any movie, and that it might be sort of a neat exercise for me to write reviews or at least passing thoughts on these movies, but, I don’t know if I should or even could write about some of what I saw this weekend.  Here was the lineup:
Nutty Professor (1996)
Nutty Professor 2:  The Klumps (2000)
I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry (2007)
Hunger Games (2012)
Wanderlust (2012)
So, where do I start?  Perhaps with the admission that the movies that held me most in their grip were the Eddie Murphy Nutty Professors.  The thing is, I don’t feel like this is a true “guilty” “admission” or anything like that, because things like Vice Magazine (pre-Viacom buy-out) have definitely made it the norm to show a “surprising” interest in low-culture creations.  So I’m not thinking I’m blowing any minds here by having watched and sort of liked these movies.  Let’s see.  What can I say about them?  Both films really revel in their crassness, and it was sort of just fun to let my fart-joke-flag fly.  Here is an example of some of the funniest dialogue from the first one (courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes site):
  1. Mama Klump: Everytime we have a meal you start breaking gas. Don't break gas and destroy our meal!
  2. Papa Klump: Don't tell me to stop! You were the one who brought up colon cleansing and all that mess!
  3. Mama Klump: I did not say anythin' about breakin' gas, I said that I was gonna get my colon cleansed!
  4. Papa Klump: Oh, so you can talk about puttin' a tube up somebody's *ss, but I can't break wind.
  5. Mama Klump: I didn't say nothin' about puttin' a hose up somebody's *ss, Cletus.
  6. Papa Klump: Well what do you think a colonic is? You think you run yo' *sshole by the car wash?
  7. Mama Klump: You're chokin' the baby! [Ernie Jr. spits out food with laughter]
  8. Papa Klump: Look, as long as I pay the bills, I can do what I want at this table. Case in point; [farts]
Now, in my day, I have heard many, many (at least 5), new-agey yuppies speak straightfacedly about colonics, usually at holiday parties, and so, I don’t know, this dialogue is along the lines of how I wish I could have responded to one of these holiday party guests.  Like, “you can talk about paying someone to stick a tube up your butt but you get uncomfortable when I mention preferring the eastside? 

The first of the two films is more adult, like, more swears and whatnot, so it’s preferable in my book to the more kid-friendly sequel, which is not without its crass, farty, complex love-hate relationship of weight problems charm either. 

More on the other movies tomorrow, maybe.

XO princess

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nostalgia Haiku

  Nostalgia Haiku Pee Wee’s Playhouse song Her smell returns and her laugh We’d watched since show one

Grand Rapids, Michigan by Robin Crane

  I am at a mental hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I had never been to this city before. My room is right next to  the bay of telephones. I feel sad hearing so many patients start conversations with their friends or family and then so soon say,  "Oh, you have to go? Well...goodbye."

Birthday Card Book

IN keeping with the more than usual focus on my mom, who passed away almost a year ago now,  here is a book she made me for my 14th birthday.