Saturday, June 27, 2015

Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock Collage, Completed



In the shitty year of 1994, life would have been shitty for me anyway, because I was a teen with issues.  But the shittiness was compounded by the event of Kurt Cobain killing himself, which was really devastating to me.  I think that’s why so many of my art projects are from 1994 – just keeping myself occupied, trying to stay sane.  I started to really love T.S. Eliot around this time too, and one of the art projects I was most proud of was a collage book I did of his poem “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.”   I dated the project at the time and so I know it was from June 1994.  When I don’t have anything current to put on the blog, I verrrry often cull things from my past, and so I’ve been posting pages from the book – I’ve done it in 2 installments now, with the idea of it being a serialization.  But today I’m thinking that it takes away from the poem to have it only given in bits and pieces, so I’m posting the rest of the poem collage here.  (& yes, as a feminist, I’m conflicted about being a T.S. Eliot fan, knowing that he had his wife Vivienne committed.)






































No comments:

Post a Comment