Friday, February 22, 2013

Are you nobody too?


I haven't been very chatty on here this past week.  I feel down because of my own usual problems, but also the news has really been getting me down this week, mostly the mass shooting in OC and the sad details I keep hearing about the country singer Mindy McReady's suicide.  I tried to enact a Harry Potter movie only viewing policy in my house for the week, for the window of time we watch TV at night, to avoid the real world and the news, but since I am not a somehow/magically all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful 9 year old, this enactment went unheeded.  Anyway this morning I was thinking about these 3 movies that I loved in my teens that I grouped all together because they were all traumatically sad and poignant to the point where I could only watch them once in my whole life (except the Sterile Cuckoo, which I think I would watch once DAILY if I could find a copy anywhere), even though I used to count them among my favorite movies.  They are David and Lisa (1962), The Sterile Cuckoo (1969), and Bless the Beasts and Children (1971).  Each of these movies contains the sort of ouchy ennui I've been dragging around with me.  They're all a bit obscure – have you seen them?  

DAVID AND LISA 







THE STERILE CUCKOO


















BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN


1 comment:

  1. oh i just saw that Sterile Cuckoo is on dvd but is $18. That's $9 too rich for my blood.

    ReplyDelete