Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"Like Science Fiction" Foxfire video





Boy have I been absent from this blog.  Everything is in flux for me.  I have usually written for this blog during work hours, when I would get glimpses of inspiration and have some time to work through the idea and type it up, whether it be an ode to action comedies, an interview with a genius musician, a memoir piece or a short story.

Now that I am laid off, it's just like -- duh???  But today I recalled I had some mp3's someone had recently created for me from tape recordings of my old band.  I just made this very rudimentary video for an old Foxfire (my old mid-nineties teenage riot grrrrl band) song "Like Science Fiction," Vocals and lyrics me, bass Andrea Branca, Rhani Remedes on guitar.  The song is about girl artists (writers/musicians/etc) being drawn to using sci fi/fantasy tropes because if we tried to write our experiences in a real world setting, it'd be unbelievable.  so to be like, 'my dad's co-worker hit on me at a xmas party' and write a story about that actual event would just seem so .... the real details of such things are almost too grotesque.  Easier to write a story about an alien girl who somehow ends up at a human male adult xmas party where bad shit happens to her.   So I tried to use some sci-fi graphics for this, like film stills from the amazing Twilight Zone episode "Number 12 Looks Just Like You."  and also some rad photos of the first female russian cosmonaut.

No comments:

Post a Comment