Monday, January 14, 2013

Professor


Well, I know that I’d said earlier in this blog that I will watch almost any movie, and that it might be sort of a neat exercise for me to write reviews or at least passing thoughts on these movies, but, I don’t know if I should or even could write about some of what I saw this weekend.  Here was the lineup:
Nutty Professor (1996)
Nutty Professor 2:  The Klumps (2000)
I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry (2007)
Hunger Games (2012)
Wanderlust (2012)
So, where do I start?  Perhaps with the admission that the movies that held me most in their grip were the Eddie Murphy Nutty Professors.  The thing is, I don’t feel like this is a true “guilty” “admission” or anything like that, because things like Vice Magazine (pre-Viacom buy-out) have definitely made it the norm to show a “surprising” interest in low-culture creations.  So I’m not thinking I’m blowing any minds here by having watched and sort of liked these movies.  Let’s see.  What can I say about them?  Both films really revel in their crassness, and it was sort of just fun to let my fart-joke-flag fly.  Here is an example of some of the funniest dialogue from the first one (courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes site):
  1. Mama Klump: Everytime we have a meal you start breaking gas. Don't break gas and destroy our meal!
  2. Papa Klump: Don't tell me to stop! You were the one who brought up colon cleansing and all that mess!
  3. Mama Klump: I did not say anythin' about breakin' gas, I said that I was gonna get my colon cleansed!
  4. Papa Klump: Oh, so you can talk about puttin' a tube up somebody's *ss, but I can't break wind.
  5. Mama Klump: I didn't say nothin' about puttin' a hose up somebody's *ss, Cletus.
  6. Papa Klump: Well what do you think a colonic is? You think you run yo' *sshole by the car wash?
  7. Mama Klump: You're chokin' the baby! [Ernie Jr. spits out food with laughter]
  8. Papa Klump: Look, as long as I pay the bills, I can do what I want at this table. Case in point; [farts]
Now, in my day, I have heard many, many (at least 5), new-agey yuppies speak straightfacedly about colonics, usually at holiday parties, and so, I don’t know, this dialogue is along the lines of how I wish I could have responded to one of these holiday party guests.  Like, “you can talk about paying someone to stick a tube up your butt but you get uncomfortable when I mention preferring the eastside? 

The first of the two films is more adult, like, more swears and whatnot, so it’s preferable in my book to the more kid-friendly sequel, which is not without its crass, farty, complex love-hate relationship of weight problems charm either. 

More on the other movies tomorrow, maybe.

XO princess

No comments:

Post a Comment